Flipped Learning: Turning Training on its Head
By Doug Striker, CEO, Savvy Training & Consulting
Either law firm trainers are all taking gymnastics classes or there is a learning trend taking the industry by storm. Flipped Learning. You hear it everywhere these days and I’m pretty sure it’s not because our friendly trainers have all installed trampolines in their offices (though that does sound fun). Flipped learning represents a new way of managing your law firm’s limited training resources while also achieving stellar education results.
Let’s examine this trend, shall we?
What is Flipped Learning?
Traditionally, instructors gather their students in a classroom, teach them a concept, quiz them, and then assess who needs extra help and who can move forward. While that model works, it may not be the most efficient. (And efficiency rules in law firms today!)
In the old traditional model, everyone is expected to sit through the same classroom lesson no matter where their knowledge base starts. That could be a waste of time for some people. (And we know how much people love having their time wasted.)
Here’s how you might flip that learning model:
- Send out an online course that everyone must take. (On their own time! They love that part!)
- At the end of the course, everyone takes a test.
- Those whose tests indicate that they need extra help are invited to a classroom-based course.
- In the classroom, the trainer hones in on the specific skills needed by the group at-hand.
- Voila! Less waste, more learning!
Affordable Tech Solutions for Flipped Learning
Now, of course, the flipped learning model must be supported by a technology solution that allows a trainer to schedule online courses for groups of individuals who can take those courses on their own time. Then, the tech solution also must allow those individuals take a test which is sent back to the trainer. From these assessments, the trainer knows who to invite to the classroom training.
I know what you’re thinking: “That’s an LMS system and they’re so expensive!”
Not so, my friends! If you’re looking at one of those old, traditional tech solutions, it’s time for you to flip your thinking on technology, as well. When you think “Learning Management System,” do you imagine that you’ll have to work with separate hardware and software vendors who create a one-of-a-kind, proprietary system for your firm? (Meaning: big bucks and time.)
That process is rapidly becoming outdated as systems move into the cloud.
Here’s what you should expect in a state-of-the-art LMS:
- Cloud-based: Get a cloud-based LMS that your team does not have to administer.
- Subscription-based: Forget the hassle of managing your own LMS updates. Let the provider do it for you. Buy a subscription and let someone else do the work.
- Continuous updates: With your subscription, you should receive continuous updates to the training content.
- Top-notch customer service: If you’re relying on a provider to support your training needs, make sure that provider is Johnny-on-the-spot with helpful, pleasant assistance when you need it.
Now, here’s why I believe the SavvyAcademy LMS is the very best option:
- No annual capital expense for hardware or software licenses. You invest nothing in developing and upgrading this legal-specific LMS. We do it for you. You only pay to play. Content updates can be pushed automatically.
- Priced by the seat. You may have 200 people in your law firm but, if you only want 100 to use it, you’re only charged for 100 users.
- Trackable, reportable data down to each individual user. Great for ROI conversations as all activity in the LMS is transparent.
- Complete control and customization for trainers and administrators who need to tailor their continuing education to individual attorneys or non-lawyers, from new hires to seasoned legal eagles. From voluntary “just-in-time” training, to instructor-led classroom-based training to learning paths – you control the “flow.”
- Subscription includes the SavvySMART Content Library. A complete package of all our training materials on a 64 GB flash drive. Our content includes e-learning tutorials, quick reference guides, user and instructor training manuals, self-paced workbooks and over 250 recorded webinars, all specifically for law firms.
But don’t take my word for it! The SavvyAcademy LMS was awarded “Best Services Solution – 2015” by the Denver Biz Tech Expo.
If you’d like to chat further about your training needs or take a free tour of SavvyAcademy LMS, don’t hesitate to call me or email me at: 303-800-5408 or Doug@savvytraining.com.
Savvy Training & Consulting works with leading companies and technologies to deliver the most up-to-date training solutions and curricula to law firms. Savvy recently unveiled an award-winning Learning Management System (LMS) for law firms, SavvyAcademyTM, which delivers scalable training capabilities, reportable data down to the individual user and 24/7 support, all for a fraction of the cost of traditional LMS services. For a free demo, click here.