In real estate, the mantra has always been, “Location Location Location.” In training, it’s, “Automation Automation Automation.” We’ve all heard law firm partners breathe those deep sighs of annoyance when the word “training” comes up in a meeting. It’s not billable time so it feels like a drain. However, ongoing training is absolutely essential if a firm wants to keep up with its competitors in the increasingly high-tech legal industry.
Perhaps the biggest strain on a training program is the never-ending on-boarding process, which feels a little like the movie, “Groundhog Day.” But, because the on-boarding process tends to be so turnkey and consistent (as opposed to new rollout training and help desk support), it is an easy process to automate! All you need is a good learning management system.
Why Do You Need a Learning Management System?
If you don’t have one already, you need an LMS. Honestly, the LMS is the heartbeat of this entire automation process because a robust LMS can…
· Store all of your on-boarding training materials
· Enable your HR and IT teams to create learning pathways using that training content
· “Feed” the new recruits these training materials in the proper order and pace
· Track each individual recruit’s achievements as they make their way through the materials
· Test each recruit’s knowledge
· Report on each recruit’s achievements and weaknesses
And the benefits of automating your on-boarding process are many…
Benefits of Using an LMS to Automate Your New-Hire On-Boarding
- Quick Setup, Speedy Rollout: With a robust LMS, you can set up learning paths based on each individual user’s role at the firm. Paralegals take one path, associates take another. Then, those paths can even branch based on their specialties or locations. For example, a paralegal supporting the commercial real estate division in the Chicago office can have a distinctly different learning path than other new hires.
- Consistency: Once the learning paths are set up, you are relieved of the hassle of making sure everyone is studying the materials they should at the pace they should. Modules can require a test before moving into the next phase, assuring that your new hires are marching down the path as you laid it out for them.
- Trackable Results: Administrators need only pull up reports to examine who’s on track, who’s falling behind and who needs a little extra help.
- Easy Follow-Through: Ping anyone with a note from the LMS once you’ve studied the reports. ! “Looks like you need to jump on the NetDocs learning path, Winston!” You can also set up automatic reminders, as well.
- Incentivize Participation: Your reward program becomes a snap with an LMS. Admins can set up rewards trackers for individual users who may receive office accolades or gift cards for reaching goals.
- Reviews: Turn the review process into an objective examination of each person’s learning achievements. (Finally! A way to link bonuses and raises to training achievements!)
- Improved Efficiency Firm-Wide: When everyone is learning the same skills, work moves faster (and more accurately).
- Marketing: Clients today want proof that firms are keeping their tech skills sharp and protecting their sensitive data with ongoing security awareness trainings. Your LMS can create reports that you put right into the RFP.
- Free HR and IT People for More Strategic Goals: On-boarding is a mammoth task. If you automate the process, you can save money and also enable your awesome HR and IT people to work on the firm’s mid- to long-term goals.
If you have any questions about this article, and if you’d like a free demo of Savvy’s LMS (SavvyAcademy), please email me today at Doug@SavvyTraining.com