A couple of weeks ago, I wrote a blog about the SavvyAcademy LMS and why it stands above other law firm learning management systems. In that blog, I included a list that I titled, “But Wait! There’s More!” with a long list of the “nice-to-have” options that SavvyAcademy includes. Today, I thought I’d break that list down to explain why some of these above-and-beyond features can make your life easier… DEFINITELY easier than an LMS that you might get without these features (and still probably pay more than you would for SavvyAcademy).
You might ask, “Why would I need these features in the SavvyAcademy LMS?” Well, let me tell you why!
- SavvyAcademy LMS is priced by users, not by the total number of people at a firm. Let’s say that you work at a 300-person firm but you only want to train 150. SavvyAcademy can accommodate any number of trainees and only charge you for the “seats” you use.
- SavvyAcademy comes with SavvySMART content, which is law-firm specific, not generic content that is meant to serve any industry. The SavvySMART content is built from the ground up for lawyers and law firms to support the way they do business. All of the workbooks and practice documents are legal-specific. For example, if you’re training someone to create a table of contents for a pleading or a brief, SavvySMART teaches those skills using the nuances of the legal industry. Same for a table of authorities and how you must reference court cases.
- SavvyAcademy includes the ability to create landing page announcements to keep hot issues visible. For example, you may have experienced a recent “teachable moment” that you want to educate users about. Perhaps there was a security breach at another firm and you want to offer some “lightning training” on the issue. Or maybe there is an upcoming holiday party and you want to remind users to RSVP. The SavvyAcademy landing page announcements offer you another point of easy broadcast to the firm.
- The SavvyAcademy LMS offers a configurable catalog that allows the administrator to determine what type of information to display for learners. Similarly, the catalog is searchable using finer and finer search terms – up to 20 different categories! For example, if you want to search for something in Word 2016, you can filter by Word 2016 content and then drill down with a secondary search on the specific term you’re looking for.
- SavvyAcademy LMS gives you the ability to group or bundle courses together for easy enrollment or assignment. The learning modules are packed into courses and courses are packed into learning paths. You can enroll users (new hires, onboarding, lateral moves, practice areas) into specific modules or learning paths.
- The SavvyAcademy LMS provides a tool to create and send surveys. If you’re already paying for another survey tool, you can save money by simply using the survey tool included in your LMS.
- The SavvyAcademy LMS supports informal learning moments, such as on-the-job trainings, that you want to assign and track. For example, a partner stops you in the hallway and says, “I have to get these letters out!” She needs help with mail merge. You can create an ad hoc training, send it to the partner, and then load it into the LMS for future access. You can also track that training to the partner’s learning path so that she gets credit for the on-the-spot learning you provided.
- The SavvyAcademy LMS gives administrators the ability to set up an auto-reminder email for assigned students/instructors/managers/administrators regarding due dates for learning plans or individual learning activities. This is the built-in “nag feature,” allowing you to set it and forget it. You can set the reminder email to drop based on a certain number of days before the due date or after enrollment. One less thing you have to remember!
- The SavvyAcademy LMS includes fully integrated web conferencing capabilities. You can broadcast and record classroom training sessions using the LMS and then save them in the LMS for distribution firm-wide, including remote offices.
- The SavvyAcademy LMS supports extended enterprise operations. If your firm consists of remote offices and employees who work from far-flung areas, they can easily access the LMS from wherever they are. Further, the LMS can accommodate special counsel, contractors and clients. Let’s say you taught a CLE that is client-specific; you can give the clients access to that CLE in the LMS. Likewise, their ability to access the content can be removed at any time.
- The SavvyAcademy LMS can send automatic register/de-register notifications via email. When someone enrolls in a course or learning path, you can receive email alerts.
- The SavvyAcademy LMS can require that learners complete courses in a defined order. If you want students to follow a specific learning path, the LMS supports that dependent learning structure.
- The SavvyAcademy LMS enables administrators to set completion dates for assigned items. You can require that a course is completed a specific number of days after enrollment or on a fixed date in time. For example, “We need this anti-harassment course completed by Monday, September 25.” In this way, the LMS also supports the firm’s compliance requirements.
- The SavvyAcademy LMS is flexible enough for administrators to configure learning plan completion requirements based on either the number of learning objects completed (all or specified subset) or the number of CLE/CPD/CEUs completed. Basically, this option gives people the ability to test out of courses or paths. For example, if you’re offering a six-part learning path but the exam is the critical piece, you can give people the chance to test out. Conversely, there might be three of six things that the learners must do on the path to complete it. Furthermore, the SavvyAcademy LMS can include the ability to set phased learning so that, when a learner is done with Phase One, they are automatically enrolled in Phase Two within a specified time.
- The SavvyAcademy LMS helps track employee licensing and certification requirements, including expiration dates. The firm is required to maintain CLEs, so the LMS simplifies the administrative tracking required.
- The SavvyAcademy LMS enables you to highlight new, popular or featured content. Right on the main dashboard, you can highlight new content, new videos and images.
- The SavvyAcademy LMS tracks and reports credits for each learner and course. For example, if you taught a class worth 5 points and a student has taken 6 of them, that student has earned 30 points. Tracking course completion in this way can be a handy tool during performance reviews and goal-setting.
- SavvyAcademy LMS reports on learning plan progress across groups and globally. Administrators can see enrollment dates, progress and completion dates across groups and down to the individual level.
- SavvyAcademy LMS supports individual learners by enabling them to review and print a transcript that includes credits for all learning types (e.g. instructor-led, vILT, e-learning, external, etc.).
- SavvyAcademy LMS enables administrators to create role-based competencies linked to courses. Every user profile includes meta data that enables you to assign specific learning content using tags that match their meta data. For example, you may want paralegals in your Chicago office to be enrolled in courses tagged “paralegal” and “Chicago.” Or you may create a skills-based requirement using tags titled “paralegal,” “contracts,” and “table of contents.”
Are you getting the impression that the SavvyAcademy LMS is about the most robust LMS in the law firm industry? If you’d like a free demo, please don’t hesitate to contact me (303-800-5408, Doug@SavvyTraining.com) or Jay Stromberg (303-800-4568, Jay@SavvyTraining.com).